Friday, October 20, 2017

Why Practice is Important: Getting Lost, Catching Fire, and a Crafting Table Discover in MinecraftEDu

I spent three hours in MinecraftEDU last night.  Wow...it's very, very different from any other video game that I've played in the past.  Here are my initial "quick-thoughts" and list of things I discovered:

1. It is easy to lose your way.  
2. You have to actually hold your mouse down to repeatedly hit in order to break things.
3. ASWD is great for moving; I absolutely hate, hate, hate that my mouse moves the camera angle.
4. You can get lost underground.  It's also pretty dark down there.
5. When digging, it might be a good idea to make sure you can get out of the hole...
6. F5 changes your viewpoint.  I can't decide if I like 1st person or not.
7. Did I mention that it was really easy to get lost?????
8. There are random villages with people...huh, wasn't expecting that one!
9. Experimenting with the building grid lets me make all sorts of usual things.
 
10.  If you step in lava, you will light on fire.  If you throw a pig into lava, it will disappear.

11. I got lost a lot.
12. Having a husband who plays lots of Minecraft is helpful for cool ideas about how to mark your spot so you can find it again.   Too bad that husband wasn't around the first two hours of game-time.
13.  Squids are in the water and if you poke them with a stick, they will give you ink.
14.  Apples and seeds can come out of trees, it's not just wood.
15.  Apparently, there are train tracks under the ground...and spider webs...and bats.  What?!
16.  If you aren't careful, you can break the barrier keeping the lava contained, and have it spill into things.
17.  Climbing to the top of trees is very useful to look at the scenery, and try to figure out where you are!!!  Unfortunately, I was still lost...
18.  Sticks can break things.  Putting random planks of wood together made a crafting table.  I'm assuming I can build much more elaborate things in that.
19.  In retrospect, when you are lost, maybe don't spend an hour trying to find your special plot of land again.
20. This is going to be pretty fun after I get a better handle on the program!

More Minecraft thoughts to come.  It's tempting to do a lot of play in here, but I need to get back to all the other projects coming up for my other classes at the moment...I'll just have to reward myself with it later when I check things off my assignments list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Butterfly Emerges

I have always wanted to be a teacher, but found the classroom stifling, limiting, and frankly, very boring during my first two years of unde...