Monday, September 4, 2017

Second Life Discoveries: Week Two and the Scavenger Hunt

Second Life Thought for the Week:  Learning through play is an excellent way to engage in course material.

This week in Second Life, we had to participate in a Scavenger Hunt by visiting various Sims and learn how to teleport and locate various objects by exploring our surroundings.  The assignment said we should plan on spending at least an hour on this activity.  I had quite a bit of fun with this assignment, and spent a great deal of time exploring.  In this assignment, we had to take screen shots of ourselves to prove we had been to certain areas (just like in a real life scavenger hunt).  While some of the areas listed as options were no longer activated, there was enough to do to gain a really great appreciation for the various ways Second Life can be used.

As I visited places, I really tried to be immersed in the environment.  I tried to feel like I was the Second Life character and behave as I would in real life (minus flying and riding on top of crocodiles).  I imagined the screen shots as taking photos and sending them as postcards to friends with blips about the adventures I had.  I submitted the assignment in this style.  In real life, I would need to dress appropriately for each place I visited, so I made sure that I was wearing long sleeves in cold places at night, cooler clothing for hot climates, and modest clothing for visiting places like a cathedral.  While these things weren't suggested in my assignment, it allowed me to better appreciate my environments.  Because I am so interested in applying what I'm learning to future courses, I want the full experience of what is available to me.


I have to remark upon three experiences I had while visiting different environments.  First, I really wanted to experience roller coasters in Second Life, but the destination suggested was no longer active.  So, I hunted around until I found something I thought was suitable.  I actually had to do a few actions (sit in the roller coaster, type in the chat bar to start the roller coaster) in order to ride.  I thought it was broken at first because I was paused at the top, until I realized that the roller coaster car was getting ready to shoot straight down in order to have enough momentum to go around the entire ride.  It was pretty neat!  I wonder how long it took to design?!




Second, Paris 1900 (one of our scavenger destinations) was by far my very favorite.  I loved the feeling I got when my character walked into the Notre Dame Cathedral.  Everything about it, from its vastness from my character's perspective to the stained glass windows, made me feel like I was actually there.  I decided to fly up to gain a better perspective, something I can't do in real life but enhances my learning experience in the virtual environment.  While I was floating in the air, something caught my eye...the organ!!!!!  My initial reaction was, "Wow, they even thought to put in the organ.  How genius!"And then, I realized that I could sit at the organ.  "Ha!" I thought. "This will make a great picture."

  Then...wait for it...I could actually play the organ.  When I did, a choir started to sing along.  It's amazing how I actually felt joy inside a virtual world.  I was elated by my discovery and the wheels in my mind just about went crazy thinking about all of the ways I could use music in SL.  I wish I could adequately convey my feelings about this discovery; let's just say I was jumping up and down with excitement like a child on Christmas day.

Third, I had a clothing malfunction in the castle at Avilion Grove.  I tried to mix and match some formal wear that was available for free.  When I tried to swap off the top, my character ended up topless for a good five minutes while my husband and I cracked up trying to figure out how to put a new shirt on her.  While content like this doesn't bother me, I could see some parents being worried about how their teens will use the Sims.  It'll be interesting to see what types of parental controls are available (if any) or if schools have the ability to create an environment that all parents would feel comfortable allowing their child to participate.  I know from experience (regardless of whether or not it's right or wrong or being overprotective) that my parents, who are very strict in their media allowances, would have had a problem with me or my siblings using this game when we were young.    Just as a side note, there were instruments to play in Avilion Grove, as well.  You could sit at the piano as the performer, or you could choose to stand as the vocal performer.  You could also play the harp.  Each instrument had options of which song you could play.  Pretty neat!


I had so much fun playing and learning this week.  I cannot wait to see how we are able to push into these virtual environments to provide amazing learning experiences for students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Butterfly Emerges

I have always wanted to be a teacher, but found the classroom stifling, limiting, and frankly, very boring during my first two years of unde...