Monday, September 4, 2017

Second Life Discoveries: Week One

Week 1 and what I've discovered: Second Life has quite the learning curve.

Log in 1:
Well, I logged into Second Life the night before our class was supposed to work so I could get a little handle on how to move around and pick my character out.  Boy, is it different than playing the video games I'm accustomed to.  I picked the only geeky looking brunette I could find so she'd at least look somewhat like me.  While I poked around, I figured out that I could really customize my character, but I could not, for the life of me, figure out how to change the outfit or add more clothes to my inventory.  I'm currently wearing a skirt and jeans and it looks ridiculous.  

Log in 2: 
I decided to scrap my attempt at altering my character and went back to the original.  For some reason, I now have three different folders of the same character and I can't figure out how to delete them.  Looks like I need to spend some more time watching the tutorials and poking around.

Log in 3:  
Okay, I cannot use Second Life on my laptop.  It's just not functioning quickly enough.  I need an upgrade for my laptop, but I actually need to save up some money to get the one I want, but I digress.  I installed Second Life on my husband's gaming computer and things are working so much better now.  I can actually walk around without freezing and the clothing modification isn't being so ridiculous...though, I still cannot figure out how to add clothes to my inventory.  I finally figured out how to walk using my wasd keys, but I wish there was an easy way to change the camera angle (There probably is, but I've not found it yet).  I guess you can't jump, either.  I was kind of expecting this whole thing to be an educational version of World of Warcraft (shadow priest ftw).  I'm really worried that using this with a group of high school students may take too much time to teach them how to use.  Maybe they will be more tech savvy than me.

Log in 4:  

I feel like I can navigate in Second Life well enough now that I won't be completely lost in class.  While the tutorials were helpful, it was easier to just make mistakes in the program and learn from them.  I figured out how to save destinations and found our COE location.  I saved it to make it easier to find from now on.  I also figured out how to search for places and did a random tutorial in a learning environment that had me follow different paths and do various tasks.  This was super helpful, and I feel like I'm at least getting the hang of things.  Thank goodness for flying or it would take forever to find anything.

Class Log in:  
I am so glad that I spent time before class snooping around and figuring out how to navigate.  I felt like I could at least keep up and I was even able to put items on without a lot of trouble.  I'm excited to participate in the scavenger hunt assignment next week, and it should be very beneficial to learning how to get around this virtual world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Butterfly Emerges

I have always wanted to be a teacher, but found the classroom stifling, limiting, and frankly, very boring during my first two years of unde...