Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Literal Tears over Virtual Living

My goal in learning is to change/enhance my mind in a positive way.  Today, my mind has been expanded to see virtual learning in a new way.  The catalyst was in doing research for our group annotation project.  I came across a site called Dreams.  And it literally brought me to tears when I researched it further.


https://vimeo.com/ondemand/login2life/23638946

Dreams is a site that supports users with autism spectrum, stroke survivors, ad/hd, and other neurological differences.  It provides a safe haven to explore, create, and find camaraderie with others who are part of these groups or friends and loved ones wanting to engage and learn.  The island was created in honor of the Sojourner who suffered from a stroke and found new life in her SecondLife avatar, being able to be who she truly was and not hindered by her body.  She has passed away, but her legacy continues, and those with disabilities or debilitating bodily functions can find a space to thrive and be free from society's stares, judgements, and misconceptions.

I teared up, thinking about all the ways SecondLife could be used that I hadn't considered because of the privilege I experience from being of able body and mind.  I hope that schools can incorporate virtual learning for students who may benefit most.  And I am grateful that my mind has been opened and stretched to think of ways to utilize virtual learning to the benefit of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Butterfly Emerges

I have always wanted to be a teacher, but found the classroom stifling, limiting, and frankly, very boring during my first two years of unde...